Established in November 2007 at Lynnwood High School Washington state Royal Robotics is compromised of 13 students ranging from grades 9-12 and supported by 12 mentors. Our school mascot is the Chimaera and our team colors are black\gold. The team motto is “In the past people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do” (Gianni Versace)
To Create a strong robotics team at Lynnwood H.S. where team members:
- Feel welcome and important to the team.
- Learn necessary technical skills.
- Learn team building and leadership skills.
- Promote STEM within our community.
- Compete effectively with ‘gracious professionalism’.
The robotics team is a year-round program. While the main focus of the team is to make and compete with robots, it provides much more than just technical training. This program has a niche for everyone, no matter what their interest area.
- It is a student-led program, so the members learn leadership and project management skills.
- They learn marketing and presentation skills in order to recruit members and sponsors and to help represent the team at competitions and community outreach events.
- Students may choose to help with the safety program, team videos/animations, website, training and teaching programs, as well as designing and building the robots.
The main focus is the FIRST Robotics Competition, known as FRC, which goes from January through March. FRC begins after FIRST announces ‘The Challenge’. Our team then has six weeks to design, make, program, and test a five-foot tall robot. Also during this time the team is preparing for competition by organizing tools and supplies, making marketing materials and more. This means we meet nearly every day for those six weeks. We continue meeting through March to prepare for the District events. If we receive enough qualifying points at the District events, we advance to the Pacific Northwest District Regional Championships. Doing well at the Regional Championships will make us eligible for the International competition in April.
The team has many other events and activities throughout the year. There are recruiting and fundraising activities. The team may also host or volunteer at FIRST Lego League events, or mentor FLL teams. We frequently bring our robots to community, sponsor and school events. We’ve presented to elementary schools and run robotics day camps. In order to coordinate all these activities, we have regular monthly planning meetings each month.